- Document grouping to Feldwebel Helmut Brückner, a Bordmechaniker who flew with the 2. Staffel of Kampfgruppe z.b.V. 700 in 1942. This was a transport unit flying on Junkers Ju 52 in various theaters of operations. In a few months time, Brückner earned the Frontflugspange in Bronze, the Frontflugspange in Silber, the EKI and the Ostmedaille with the Staffel. On 25th of November, he did not return from a "Sondereinsatz" mission to Africa. His Staffelkapitän informed Brückner's wife about the MIA status more than two weeks later, and did not leave a lot of hope regarding his fate. However, two days later the news had reached him that Brückner had been rescued by an Italian ship in the Mediterranean on the night of 8th of December 1942 - two weeks after his crash! He was delivered into a hospital in Napoli, though badly wounded. By late January 1943, his condition was still very serious - we are unsure about his final fate.
- The group consists of:
- Award document for the Frontflug-Spange für Transportflieger in Bronze, April 1942, signed by Oberst Friedrich-Wilhelm Morzik two weeks before he was awarded the Ritterkreuz.
- Award document for the Frontflug-Spange für Transportflieger in Silber, July 1942, signed by Transportführer Oberstleutnant Pinnagel.
- Award document for the Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse, June 1942, signed by Generaloberst Alfred Keller (Ritterkreuz, Pour le Mérite, ...).
- Award document for the Ostmedaille, August 1942, signed by Staffelkapitän Robert Winter.
- Promotion document to Feldwebel, May 1942, signed by Oberst Wlihelm Freiherr von Ledebur, commander of FLugzeugführerschule C17 Pütnitz.
- Two letters by Staffelkapitän Robert Winter regarding his MIA status and his rescue by an Italian ship.
- Five telegrams from the Napoli hospital to his wife, informing about his medical status and demanding her to rush to the hospital when his condition got worse.
- The award documents are in good condition, all but the Ostmedaille do have some album remains on the back, but they have never been punched or folded.
DAK Pilot award docs - Italy 1942 crash
- Product Code: DJ003
- Availability: In Stock